Church & Ministry Cases
The healthy church initiative statement on church governance:
A Biblically-informed legal perspective
At Crain Law Group, we seek to provide legal guidance from a Biblically-informed perspective. We are lawyers and do not purport to be theologians, but we do take seriously the obligation of all believers to “rightly handl[e] the word of truth.” Our Statement on Church Governance describes of 1) how we serve churches, 2) a statement of our views on what the Bible says about how the New Testament church is to be governed, and 3) an explanation of the models of governance we recommend.
Crain Law Group provides a wide array of legal services to churches. We offer a solution-focused approach that is grounded in broad experience and a shared conviction about the critical role of the Church. We consider it a privilege to come alongside our church clients as they face the unique legal challenges of ministry.
Our Goal Is To Help Your Church Achieve Its Ministry Goals.
What We Do For Churches:
Three Areas of Focus
The Healthy Church
Legal strategies to enhance the organizational health of churches.
- Organizational Document Review and Drafting (Corporate Charters, Articles of Incorporation, Constitutions, Bylaws)
- Ministry Policy Review and Drafting (Facilities Use, Financial Procedures, Wedding Policies)
- Child Protection Policy Review and Drafting
- Legal Guidance for Church Startups, Mergers and Strategic Ministry Partnerships
- Personnel Policy Review and Drafting
- Nonprofit Legal Compliance
The Peaceful Church
Conflict resolution services with a focus on Biblical peacemaking principles.
- Church Conflict Intervention
- Resolution of Issues Regarding Legal Control of Church Property
- Addressing Unresolved Cycles of Conflict
- Staff Separation Matters
- Guidance in Discipline of Volunteer Leaders and Members
The Bold Church
Representation of churches facing legal challenges with constitutional implications.
- Denial of land use because of ministry status (Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act (“RLUIPA”) cases)
- Obstacles to or legal threats because of community involvement
- Denial of ministry opportunities because of ministry status
- Matters involving constitutionally protected expression of religious principles
- Federal, state and local tax-exemption matters
Complete the form below to be contacted by our practice. Please provide a brief message with the nature of your inquiry.